Trust you’re enjoying our corporate law updates. Today we would like to inform you about DIR-3 (Director Identification Number) application. Which is amended my government on 17.02.2018.
Every individual intending to be appointed as director of a company shall make an application for allotment of Director Identification Number to the Central Government in such form and manner and along with such fees as may be prescribed (Rs 500).
Every applicant, who intends to be appointed as director of an existing company shall make an application electronically in Form DIR-3, to the Central Government for allotment of a Director Identification Number (DIN) along with such fees (Rs 500) as provided under the Companies (Registration Offices and Fees) Rules, 2014.
Provided that in case of proposed directors not having approved DIN, the particulars of maximum three directors shall be mentioned in Form No. INC-32(SPICe) and DIN may be allotted to maximum three proposed directors through Form INC-32(SPICe).
Rule 9(3) (a )
board resolution proposing his appointment as director in an existing company;
Rule 9(3) (b)
Form DIR-3 shall be signed and submitted electronically by the applicant using his or her own Digital Signature Certificate and shall be verified by a company secretary in full time employment of the company or by the managing director or director or CEO or CFO of the company in which the applicant is intended to be appointed as director in an existing company.
Key details required to file DIR-3
- Applicant Name
- Father’s Name
- Residential Status
- Educational Qualifications
- Date of Birth
- Voter ID Number
- Passport Number
- DL Number
- Passport Number
- Permanent Address
- Digital Signature Certificate
The following are the mandatory attachments to be filed in all cases:
Proof of Identity of applicant
- In case of Indian nationals, Income-tax PAN is a mandatory requirement for proof of identity.
- In case of foreign nationals, passport is a mandatory requirement for proof of identity.
- Proof of identify enclosed with eForm DIR-3 should also contain the date of birth of the applicant and the same should match the date of birth filled in the application form. In case the proof of identify does not indicate the Date of Birth then additional proof of Date of Birth, duly certified/ attested, should be attached.
Proof of residence of applicant
- Address proofs like passport, election (voter identity) card, and ration card, driving license, electricity bill, telephone bill or aadhaar shall be attached and should be in the name of applicant only.
- In case of Indian applicant, documents should not be older than 2 months from the date of filing of the eForm.
- In case of foreign applicant, address proof should not be older than 1 year from the date of filing of the eForm.
In case of proofs which are in languages other than Hindi / English, the proofs should be translated in Hindi / English from professional translator carrying his details (name, signature, address) and seal. In the case of foreign nationals, translation done by the notary of home country is also acceptable.
Reason of Rejections
- Proof of identity has not been attested by an authorized person.
- Proof of residential address has not been attested by an authorized person.
- The supporting document for identity proof is not valid as it has not been issued by any Government Authority
- The enclosed evidence has handwritten entries.
- Date of Birth is not matching with the date of birth mentioned in the proof attached.
- Applicant’s Name is not matching with the name mentioned in the proof attached.
- Address is not matching with the address details mentioned in the proof attached.
- Applicant’s Father’s Name is not matching with the father’s name mentioned in the proof attached.
- The submitted application is duplicate DIN application i.e. an approved DIN already exists in this name.
- Identification number entered in application does not match with the identity proof enclosed.
- The gender is not entered correctly in DIN form.
- ID proof not attached with the application.
- Address proof not attached with the application.
- Non-submission of copy of passport (for foreign nationals)
- Passport duly appostillised not enclosed (For foreign nationals)
- Verification by applicant is not attached.
- Verification by applicant not in prescribed format.
- Verification by applicant is not signed.
- The prefixes/ suffixes like Mr. / Ms. / Kumari / Shri / Late or Ji etc. are used in your name or your father’s name field in DIN form.
- The supporting documents attached not valid or current or has expired.
- In case of others, description is written by the back office user.