On 23.3.2018, a notice seeking details relating to breach of data from Facebook had been sent to M/s. Cambridge Analytica particularly with regard to reports in the media about questionable practices attributed to M/s.Cambridge Analytica in their efforts to influence elections.
It is felt that there is a need for further information about the data breach from Facebook. Accordingly, a letter has been issued by the Ministry of Electronics & I.T. on 28th March 2018 to Facebook seeking their response to the following questions:
- Whether the personal data of Indian voters and users has been compromised by Cambridge Analytica or any other downstream entity in any manner, and if so, how was it compromised?
- Whether Facebook or it’s related or downstream agencies utilisingFacebook’s data have previously been engaged by any entities to manipulate the Indian electoral process?
- If any such downstream entity misused data from Facebook, what is the protection available to the data subject?
- What are the specific steps proposed to be taken by Facebook to prevent any misuse of personal data for potential interference in, or manipulation of the Indian electoral process?
- Facebook today has its largest footprint in India in terms of its user base and therefore what proactive measures are being taken to ensure the safety, security, and privacy of such large user data and to prevent its misuse by any third party?
Facebook has been called upon to give their response by 7.4.2018.