You would be aware that the Central Board of Indirect Taxes and Customs (‘CBIC’) has earlier notified the formats for Annual Returns. The Annual return forms are now active on the GST portal upon login.
Taxpayers can now file their Annual Return in GSTR-9 on the GST portal. Some of the important points for consideration are given below:
- The Annual Return is available as both an offline as well as an online utility. In case of an offline tool, the same needs to be filled and subsequently uploaded on the GST portal.
- All pending forms in GSTR – 1 and GSTR – 3B have to be filed before filing the Annual Return.
- The Annual return once filed cannot be revised. Hence, taxpayers should exercise utmost caution while filling and submitting the Return.
- The Input Tax Credit in the Annual Return would be auto-populated by the System. Taxpayers need to verify and reconcile the same with books before filing the Annual Return.
- A Nil Annual Return can be filed in certain circumstances.
The due date for GST Annual Return
The due date for filing the Annual Return was 31st December 2018, which was extended till 31st March 2019 via press release and further extended to 30th June 2019 vide Removal of Difficulties Order No. 03/2018 – Central Tax dated 31 December 2018.